The Kjölur route, which has historical significance in Iceland, is a trail used for riding that traverses the uninhabited highlands. After visiting popular tourist spots like Gullfoss waterfall and Geysir hot springs, we venture into the interior of Iceland, where we encounter glaciers, hot springs and the captivating wilderness of the highlands. Our journey takes us northward, passing glaciers and spending a night near a slowly moving glacier tongue. At Hveravellir, we find hot springs that resemble an oasis in the desert. We continue our journey towards Northern Iceland until we reach a beautiful green valley, which is our final destination. This tour offers the opportunity to ride with a free-running herd of horses and experience the diversity of the Icelandic horse in its natural habitat. Each rider will have the chance to ride 2 or 3 different horses each day, which will help them develop their riding skills.
- Verified tour organizersAll organizers confirm their qualifications
- Expert communityAll horse tour guides have extensive experience in horse riding tours
- Best price guaranteeBook tours directly from the tour organizer
The tour starts in the evening. Tour members who arrive the same day to Iceland should take the Flybus from the airport to the bus station BSÍ in Reykjavík. We will greet you at the bus station or at your hotel/ guesthouse in Reykjavik between 17:30- 18:00 and drive you to our farm near Hveragerði. There you will be lodged at our Guesthouse. We will get to know each other during dinner at our Hotel. The day will end with a detailed description of the tour (might be the next morning).
The Tour is for experienced riders only (several years of riding regularly in all kind of terrain). A large herd of free-running horses follows every day.
Riding distance: ca. 240 km, or 20 – 45 km (4 – 8 hours) per day.
The Guesthouse has a capacity of 19 beds, with twin, triple and quad rooms available. It is strategically located on the property to offer convenience and excellent service to cater to your requirements. The guesthouse is warm and welcoming, with a dining area and communal bathrooms.
Although cooking facilities are not provided, the Guesthouse provides a cozy living area, communal bathrooms, a tea kettle that can be used for instant coffee and a small refrigerator. Guests are free to use all amenities and services of the Hotel, such as the restaurant and hot tub.
2-4 beds per shared room.
Group meeting placeCapital Region, sveitarfélög Reykjavíkurborg, Reykjavík Airport
- English speaking guide;
- riding and safety equipment;
- transfer from/to Reykjavik;
- 1 night in Guesthouse (2-4 beds per shared room) and 5 nights sleeping bag accommodation in farms and simple mountain huts (bunk beds in shared rooms);
- 11% VAT;
- full board (traditional Icelandic home cooking).
- transfer from Keflavík to Reykjavik;
- personal expenses.
Group sizeup to 6 tourists
It's important to know
- good shoes;
- comfortable pants (riding pants not necessary);
- a small waist bag for a camera;
Dates and Prices
- US$ 3 10017 – 23 Jun, 2024 7 days 6 nights
- US$ 3 10026 Jun – 2 Jul, 2024 7 days 6 nights
- US$ 3 10013 – 19 Jul, 2024 7 days 6 nights
- US$ 3 10031 Jul – 6 Aug, 2024 7 days 6 nights
- US$ 3 1005 – 11 Aug, 2024 7 days 6 nights
- US$ 3 10014 – 20 Aug, 2024 7 days 6 nights