Horse Riding Holidays in Bulgaria
Bulgaria is a southern European country with a rich history of cultures, architecture, and ample natural beauty. The wide array of landscapes in Bulgaria includes breathtaking views, with mountains, rivers, lakes, and a picturesque coastline along the Black Sea. The Balkans nation is a cultural melting pot with Greek, Ottoman, Thracian, Slavic, and Persian influences.
You can see an eclectic mix of cultures and landmarks on our Bulgaria horseback tours, which may pass iconic old churches, Roman ruins, and gorgeous beaches. Sofia, the capital city of Bulgaria, dates back to the 5th century B.C. and sits at the foot of scenic Vitosha Mountain. Sofia’s rich history still stands, with medieval churches and Ottoman and Roman architecture.
Journey through ancient history and stunning natural landscapes on a Bulgarian horseback riding tour. Whether you want a beginner-friendly horseback ride through scenic meadows and streams or a thrilling gallop up mountains, our Bulgaria horseback tours have plenty of options. With a rich variety of outdoor scenery ranging from beautiful beaches to forested mountains, Bulgaria is an unforgettable place to experience on horseback.
In addition to natural wonders, Bulgaria has a unique mix of cultures and architecture that continue to enthrall tourists. You can stop and see Thracian and Roman ruins, wineries, medieval churches, and elegant castles on your ride.
Cultural Sites in Bulgaria
Whether you’re interested in palaces, churches, or natural wonders, Bulgaria has a rich mix of iconic sites to see. There are 10 UNESCO-listed World Heritage Sites in Bulgaria, including seven cultural sites. The iconic cultural sites include:
● The Ancient City of Nessebar has more than 3,000 years of history, including a Thracian settlement and a Greek colony. The site features a Thracian fortress and a Greek acropolis, a temple of Apollo, and an agora.
● Boyana Church is nestled just outside of the ca[ital city of Sofia, and dates back to the 10th century, featuring medieval frescoes and art.
● Madara Rider or Madara Horseman is a towering figure of a knight conquering a lion carved into a cliff near the village of Madara in northeast Bulgaria. The historic monument tells of events that happened between AD 705 and 801.
● Rila Monastery is a holy site that was founded in the 10th century by St John of Rila, a figure canonized by the Orthodox Church. The structure was destroyed by fire and rebuilt during the Bulgarian Renaissance.
● Rock-Hewn Churches of Ivanovo is a group of churches, chapels, and monasteries carved out of solid rock in northeast Bulgaria.
● The Thracian Tomb of Kazanlak in central Bulgaria dates back to the Hellenistic period, around the end of the 4th century BC. The tomb’s paintings include some of Bulgaria's best-preserved artwork from the Hellenistic period.
● The Thracian Tomb of Sveshtari is an ancient Thracian tomb from the 3rd century BC with a distinct architecture reflective of Thracian cult buildings.
Equestrian Tours in Bulgaria
Take a journey through the ancient histories and cultures of Bulgaria on an equestrian tour. Immerse yourself in the stunning natural scenes of one of Europe’s oldest nations on a local horseback tour. Whether you want to explore the pristine beaches and coastline or adventure into the mountains, Bulgaria horseback tours offer the opportunity of a lifetime.
Book your tour today and create unforgettable memories.