The tour takes us through the colorful landscape between Hekla volcano and Tindafjallajökull glacier, renowned for its stunning natural beauty shaped by volcanic and glacial forces. We ride on soft paths through black sandy ground covered with green grass and lava fields, surrounded by the mystical volcanic formations created by Hekla's eruptions over the centuries. The trail follows an old Viking path ridden by Gunnar from Hlíðarendi in Njál´s Saga during his battles. We explore hidden valleys, vast green pastures and mighty rivers, experiencing the natural force and mystique of Hekla, along with elements from the old Sagas. The combination of breathtaking scenery, magnificent horses and fantastic riding paths creates unforgettable memories. Riders can try different horses each day, enhancing their riding skills and experiencing the diversity of Icelandic horses in their natural habitat, far from civilization.
- Verified tour organizersAll organizers confirm their qualifications
- Expert communityAll horse tour guides have extensive experience in horse riding tours
- Best price guaranteeBook tours directly from the tour organizer
The tour starts in the evening. Tour members who arrive the same day in Iceland should take the “Flybus” from the airport to the final bus station BSÍ in Reykjavík. We will greet you at the bus station or at your hotel/guesthouse in Reykjavik between 17:30- 18:00 and drive you to our farm near Hveragerði. There you will be lodged at our Guesthouse. We will get to know each other during dinner at our Hotel. The day will end with a detailed description of the tour (might be in the morning).
The tour requires basic riding skills with a secure, balanced seat and a good physical condition. We ride up to 45 km per day mostly in the gait tölt and take a herd of free-running horses with us part of the tour, which requires a certain speed.
Riding distance: About 160 km. 23 – 40 km (4 – 8 hours) per day.
The Guesthouse has a capacity of 19 beds, with twin, triple and quad rooms available. It is strategically located on the property to offer convenience and excellent service to cater to your requirements. The guesthouse is warm and welcoming, with a dining area and communal bathrooms.
Although cooking facilities are not provided, the Guesthouse provides a cozy living area, communal bathrooms, a tea kettle that can be used for instant coffee and a small refrigerator. Guests are free to use all amenities and services of the Hotel, such as the restaurant and hot tub.
You will be accommodated in shared rooms.
Group meeting placeCapital Region, sveitarfélög Reykjavíkurborg, Reykjavík Airport
- English speaking guide;
- riding and safety equipment;
- transfer from/to Reykjavik;
- 1 night in Guesthouse in shared rooms, 4 nights sleeping bag accommodation in cottages and simple mountain huts (bunk beds, in shared rooms);
- 11% VAT;
- full board (traditional Icelandic home cooking).
- transfer from Keflavík to Reykjavik;
- personal expenses.
Group sizeup to 6 tourists
It's important to know
- good shoes;
- comfortable pants (riding pants not necessary);
- a small waist bag for a camera.
Dates and Prices
- US$ 2 40012 – 17 Jun, 2024 6 days 5 nights
- US$ 2 40012 – 17 Jul, 2024 6 days 5 nights
- US$ 2 4009 – 14 Aug, 2024 6 days 5 nights